Doing it the right way…

Thanks for organising an event to benefit Sewa UK. The following information will help you organise a safe & successful event. Please take some time to read the information below.
On this page

Health and Safety and Risk Assessment 

As an event organiser, it’s vital that you consider all aspects related to the safety of those attending your event. The most important consideration is to identify, minimise and control all risks to all those taking part and members of the public who may be attending.
Sewa UK cannot accept liability for any loss, damage or injury suffered by yourself or anyone else as a result of taking part in a fundraising event.

Back to top

Food hygiene

It’s often said that food is critical to people enjoying a good event. Please take great care when handling food and work to basic rules for safe preparation, storage, display and cooking. Make sure your event is remembered for the right reasons!
A Food Standards Agency booklet ‘Preventing Food Poisoning – Good hygiene at home’ can be downloaded from Further information can be found from the website: and from your local authority.

Back to top

Data protection

Make sure any electronic or paper record you keep about people involved in a fundraising event complies with the Data Protection Act. As a rule of thumb, don’t keep information about people any longer than you have to, and don’t share information or data about someone without their permission. 

Back to top


By organising a fundraising event you are responsible for taking adequate steps to ensure that the event poses no risk to others. Check that any buildings or equipment that you hire are covered. Often insurance is included in the hire fee but not always. 

You may need to consider arranging public liability cover for some events which will protect you against claims made by third parties for injury or property damage as a result of negligence.

Back to top

Alcohol and public entertainment license 

If your event involves the sale of alcohol and/or live or recorded music, dancing, showing of a film or performance of a play, an indoor sporting event (including a boxing or wrestling match), or any entertainment of a similar nature, you may need a licence. Liaise with your local authority, the police and other relevant parties as necessary.

Back to top


Public collections are donation collections that take place in a publicly owned place. Public collections are governed by strict legal requirements and must be licensed by the Local Authority. Before you approach your local authority for a license, you must contact Sewa UK.

Private collections are collections on private premises and do not need the permission of the local authority; only the permission of the owner of the premises concerned (e.g. pub, supermarket). 

Back to top

Raffles, lotteries and prize draws

There are strict legal requirements governing the organisation of raffles, lotteries and prize draws. Please do not organise a raffle without checking first the guidelines with Sewa UK.

Back to top